- Steven Le Gouill1,
- Sophie De Guibert2,
- Lucie Planche3,
- Pauline Brice4,
- Jehan Dupuis5,
- Guillaume Cartron6,
- Achille Van Hoof7,
- Olivier Casasnovas8,
- Emmanuel Gyan9,
- Herve Tilly10,
- Christophe Fruchart11,
- Eric Deconinck12,
- Fitoussi Olivier13,
- Lauris Gastaud14,
- Vincent Delwail15,
- Jean Gabarre16,
- Remy Gressin17,
- Michel Blanc18,
- Charles Foussard19 and
- Gilles Salles20,*
- 1 CHU de Nantes, France;
- 2 Service d' hematologie clinique du CHU de Rennes, France;
- 3 DRC CHU de Nantes, France;
- 4 Hopital Saint Louis Paris, France;
- 5 hopital henri Mondor Creteil, France;
- 6 CHU de Montpellier, France;
- 7 A.Z. St Jan Brugge-Oostende, Belgium;
- 8 CHU de Dijon, France;
- 9 CHU de Tours, France;
- 10 Centre Henri Becquerel, Rouen, France;
- 11 CRLCC Caen, France;
- 12 CHU de Besancon, France;
- 13 Polyclinique de Bordeaux Nord, France;
- 14 Centre Lacassagne Nice, France;
- 15 CHU de Poitiers, France;
- 16 La Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France;
- 17 CHU de Grenoble. France;
- 18 Centre hospitalier de Chambery, France;
- 19 CHU d'Angers, France;
- 20 Hospices Civils de, Lyon Service d' Hematologie, Pierre-Benite, France
- ↵* Corresponding author; email:
Background and Objectives. Detailed characteristics and salvage treatment were analyzed in 175 follicular lymphoma (FL) patients from the FL2000 study, who were progressing after first line therapy (with or without addition of rituximab to chemotherapy and interferon).
Design and Methods. The impact of using autologous stem cell transplantation (HDC-ASCT) and/or rituximab administration at first progression was investigated, while taking this initial therapy into account. With a median follow-up of 31 months, 3-year event free (EFS) and overall (OS) survival rates after progression were 50% (95%CI, 42-58%) and 72% (95%CI, 64-78%), respectively.
Results. The 3-year EFS rate of rituximab re-treated patients (n=112) was 52% (95%CI, 41-62%), vs. 39.5% (95%CI, 24-55%) for those not receiving rituximab second line (n=53) (P=0.075). The 3-year OS was significantly and greatly different for patients receiving HDC-ASCT or not: 92% (95%CI, 78-97%) vs. 63% (95%CI, 51-72%) (P=.0003), respectively. In multivariate analysis, both HDC-ASCT and period of progression/relapse affected EFS and OS.
Conclusions.Regardless of frontline rituximab exposure, this study supports incorporating HDC-ASCT in the therapeutic approach at first relapse for FL patients.
- Received July 13, 2010.
- Accepted April 7, 2011.
- Copyright © 2011, Ferrata Storti Foundation